Sure you have probably wandered through the night markets on offer in Bangkok, Marrakech or Kuta but Melbourne has its own Hawkers thing happening with both summer and winter markets on offer.
Our climate is perfect to get out and about at night time, in summer you can find lighter snacks, organic juices and refreshing gelato and winter there is hearty soups, Moroccan tagines and much more on offer.
Over the years I have catered at some of these markets, they have their own unique vibe and it really is fun to be part of it all. There is a real comradere between the stall holders, who we may only see once to twice a year, and we all have customers who come back for their favourite dishes year after year, sometimes introducing more and more fans to each unique caterer.
I’d mix up our wok tossed noodled options to see what was popular each week though the Pad Thai fans would be up in arms when their favourite dish was swapped for Black Peppered Calamari or Lemongrass Mie Goreng. So what evolved was the attempt to cook as many different options possible to keep all the punters happy in a very short period of time!
These days we specialize in private and corporate catering though occasionally we fill the calendar with a public event for a little extra dosh or just for fun.
I have listed here some of my favourites, they are all special in their own unique way.
If you can suggest any I have missed please let us know.
1) Queen Vic Summer Night Market - Wednesday Nights November 4 to March 30
I love this market, as a stallholder for many years I saw this Night Market explode in popularity. I am not catering there any more but still direct overseas friends here because its vibe is superb.
2) Night Noodle Market - Every Night November 17 - November 29
This market is awesome with good quality food from some very reputable restaurants such as Fred & Ginger and Chin Chin.
Friends tell me I have to get there both as a punter and stall holder if only time would allow.
3) South Melbourne Night Market - Thursday Nights, January 14 to March 3
Well established popular and relaxed with some classic options including South Melbourne’s famous Steamed Dim Sims. What more needs to be said?
4) Supper Market – Abbotsford - Friday Nights, December 4 to March 11
Now in it s 6th year this Twilight Night is relaxed with great food, music and plenty of tables and chairs to sit in the historic grounds of the Abbotsford Convent.
5) Chinatown Night Market - 3rd Friday of Each Month
On 3rd Friday Every Month for authentic Hawkers style food in Melbourne’s oldest and most establish Chinatown precinct.
6) St Kilda Twilight Market- Thursday Nights, December to February
With a great beach feel and attracting the local backpackers for a good cheap feed, this market is eclectic and reflects St Kilda’s vibrancy and vibe. Located next to St Kilda’s Lunar park and backing on to Acland St, its location is perfect.
7) Queen Vic Winter Night Market Wednesday Nights, June 3 to August 26
Based on the classic Queen Vic Summer Night Market, the winter version is great, and certainly more manageable than the people packed Summer Version. Same great cuisine and style, just a little fresher and heart warming
8) Coburg Night Market - Friday Nights, November 27 to December 18
This market gets bigger and better. Managed now by the local Moreland council and located in the delightful Bridges Reserve. Take tram number 19 down Sydney Rd too Bells St and your there!
Here are a few more options on offer, all are worth checking out.
9) Torquay Night Market - my local market is a big hit down here.
10) Food Truck Festival - a newbie at the Coburg Drive-in sounds fun.
11) Winter Soltice Festival - with an impressive bonfire this Festival at Montsalvat is truly special.
12) White Night Festival - an iconic Melbourne event that brings the city alive for 24 hours.
13) Geelong Night Market - in the heart of Geelong in beautiful grounds of Johnstone Park with great music too.
Hi, my name is Anton Hooton I created and run Flying Woks with my family and fantastic staff!